I enjoy watching Korean variety shows and one of my favourite has to be 2D1N. Not only because of the Season 3 casts (Mr Cha and Mr Kim Junho and Joonyoung and Jongmin and Defconn and JooHyuk also the wonderful PD). I am totally in love with the places that they have been and most importantly…the food.
In one episode, I saw Cha Tae Hyun made kimchi jigae with the most basic ingredient: Kimchi and it was a satisfying meal for the crew (although it was part of a punishment and he was left all alone high up in the mountain at KBS TV station…)
I ring up a few recipes online and prepare to get the dish produced in my kitchen. So here we go, Kimchi Jigae:
Ingredients are simple, I went to the nearest Korean Mart and they include:
Kimchi (I bought a full length cabbage rather than those ready cut veg) 1 cup
Tuna (canned with oil) 1 can
Chicken midjoint (boneless) 1 cup
Red Chilli flakes 2 tbs
Salt to taste
Water 1-2 cups
How to do it:
– Heat up a tsp oil and stir fry the tuna and chicken
– When the meat have changed colour, add in the kimchi and fry it as well.
– The smell will start to rise, add in water and let it simmer over low heat.
– You can add chilli flakes if you want it to be spicy, other optional ingredient which you can add is soft tofu.
– Add salt to taste, if your kimchi is not aged for very long, the sourness is not as strong. Here you can add in 1-2 tsp of vinegar or cider to taste (which I added in to make the stew a little bit more kick of spicy and sourness)
There you have it!
Served bubbling hot with a bowl of steamed rice and some homemade fried chicken wings, completed my family dinner!
Do try my simple recipe and leave me a note on my twitter: @ zsiti or Instagram: @ zsiti_
Just another note, this weekend is Mother’s Day. To commemorate such a wonderful precious day, how about buying your mom a classic timepiece? Visit the link below:
Promotion ends this Sunday, 10 May 2015
Till we meet again, this has been zsiti.